Wednesday, February 23, 2011

They didn't say anything about smoking in the ocean.


AP- NEW YORK (AP) — New York City's parks, beaches and even Times Square will be off-limits to smokers under one of the nation's toughest anti-cigarette laws passed Wednesday by the City Council.
"This summer, New Yorkers who go to our parks and beaches for some fresh air and fun will be able to breathe even cleaner air and sit on a beach not littered with cigarette butts," Mayor Michael Bloomberg said after the 36-12 vote.
The smoking ban will cover 1,700 parks and 14 miles of public beaches plus boardwalks, marinas and pedestrian plazas like the one in the heart of Times Square. The ban goes into effect 90 days after Bloomberg signs the bill; the mayor has 20 days to do it.
States and cities from Maine to California have banned smoking in public parks and beaches, but New York is pursuing one of the widest-reaching urban bans. Smoking is also prohibited in Los Angeles city parks and in Chicago parks with playgrounds.

I don't smoke, nor have I ever been a smoker, but I think this is bullshit. What is this communist Russia? Actually, I take that back, I bet in communist Russia you could smoke in hospital nurseries. Last time I checked, this was still a free country and cigarettes were still legal. How can you outlaw smoking like this? You're not allowed to smoke indoors anymore, now they are making it illegal outdoors too. Where can you go, the top of skyscrapers? I mean shit, you already can't drink at the park, now you can't smoke. What's the point of even going to parks anymore?

You know, if the Tea Party wasn't completely full of shit, they would be up in arms over this. I mean talk about government over-regulation and the taking away our liberties. This time those fat cats in city hall have gone too far. I say let's take our country back, starting right now! I'm going down to Times Square right now and lighting up. Who's with me? USA! USA! USA!

No comments:

Post a Comment